How To Potty Train Border Collie Puppies
If there is a dog breed that is full of energy, hard working and intelligent as humans, it has to be Border collies. They never get tired and their sheer intelligence makes it a wonderful breed to train easily. It’s a breed with over 100 years history behind it. It was developed to herd sheep by farmers in northern European countries such as Scotland, England and Ireland.
Their intelligence and eagerness to learn new things makes Border Collies a breed that is easy to house train. They can be house trained at any age, but it is better to train them when they are puppies.
Things You’ll Need To Potty Train Your Puppy:
- Treats to lure your puppy
- A Clicker if you opt for clicker training
Step By Step Training Instructions:
1. To begin with make sure you keep your dog in the crate during the process of house training to make him understand that this is the boundary and he cannot cross it. Strictly follow the set schedule of taking your dog out of crate in every 1-2 hours and put him on a leash when he is out.
2. If you want to teach your Border Collie to potty outside your house or in your backyard, take him to the area where you want him to potty and use the command you have chosen for your dog. Make sure you stick to one command only, and do not shift to other words or phrases, because it will only confuse your dog and may lengthen house training process. Popular potty training commands such as “Go Potty”, “Pee” or “Hurry Up” can be used to tell your Border Collie it is time to go to the bathroom. It is not about specific words or phrases, because any of them will work as long as you stick to it and follow consistently.
3. As soon as your dog obey your commands and you see him done with it, immediately reward him with treat and praise by saying, “Good Boy”, or “Good Girl” and rub on his forehead or back. That will make him understand that following his owner’s command successfully earns him a treat and praise, which eventually helps him learn house training faster.
4. If your Border Collie does not potty in 5-10 minutes after taking him outside, take him back inside and keep him in the crate. You can try the same process after couple of hours and repeat all these aforementioned step as often as necessary, until your dog learns to obey your command and potty outside. Consistency is the key for success, when it comes to potty training your border collie puppies and if you follow these steps strictly and consistently, you should be able to house train your dog in a week.
Suggestion & Tips: If somehow your dog is not willing to learn and obey your house training commands, you should never hit or yell at him out of frustration which never helps in long run and may also make your Border Collie to become stubborn and develop bad behavior.